No Gaim Sounds with Rhythmbox playing.

Brian Puccio brian at brianpuccio.net
Thu Dec 16 16:57:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 10:13 -0600, Dan R. Hunt wrote:
> It works <large grin>! I have XMMS and other sounds, many thanks.
>
> However I could not do this bit:
>
> > 2.  Setup gstreamer for esd.  This is what totem and rhythmbox use.
> >
> > Open Preferences->Multimedia System Selector.  For "Default Sink"
> > select "ESD - Enlightenment Sound Daemon".
>
> I opened            Computer
> and both
>                             System Configuration
> and                       Desktop Preferences
> but nothing looked like Multimedia System Selector

I had the same problem.  A quick google showed this:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-June/msg07333.html

Basically, go to Applications, Run, and type in gstreamer-properties and
set the options there.  Why this isn't in the menu, I don't know.  I do
remember it being in the Debian menu when I used Debian (I stopped using
Debian about a month before Warty was formally released, I've been using
that since).

That being said, I use totem-xine, how do I set xine to used ESD?  A
quick google for xine esd gave me a bunch of results for xine-esd RPM's.
Is there a setting for xine some place where I can just tell xine to use
ESD, or must I alien one of these RPMs and install it?