Apple Mac : what model for Ubuntu ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 16 15:23:43 UTC 2004

Dear Mac friends,

I am fancying an old beige Mac, tower case, to build a little Ubuntu
machine to play with networking with my main, PC machine.

There is not much choice on Ebay here in France, and I am looking at
this one (item #5146428104)

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5146428104&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

That is the tower case I want. I wanted a Power Mac G3 but this one
seems a bit older, it says Power Mac 8600/200 "604e" processor.

Does that mean that it runs at 200MHz ? Is it likely to be as "powerful"
as an Intel Pentium (one) 200MHz ?

It has 64MB of RAM, 2GB disk and Ethernet and CD-ROM and ZIP drive, so
would be perfect for what I want to do with (basic server install of
Ubuntu, with no DE).

Having no idea how this Motorola CPU compares to my old Pentium 200MMX
board, I would like to find out before bidding !

Auction ends in 24 hours or so, and current price is only under 20 Euros
(say 12 or 15 USD), so it's tempting !!! :-)

Regards,

Vince