iceWM instead of Gnome

Ingo Lantschner (Lists) ingo.lists at vum.at
Wed Dec 15 15:53:44 UTC 2004

Thomas Beckett wrote:

> ok - with the graphical installer from
> http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=42
hmh, fine thanks for that idea, it worked fine until ...

> when it finishes installing - which i gather you have done you need to
> make a .desktop file to tell GDM that it is installed luckilly they
> provide an example that works fine for ubuntu:
>
> cp /usr/local/share/examples/xfce42.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/xfce42.desktop
this file does not exist. More precisely: The path
"/usr/local/share/examples" does not exist and on the whole system there
is no "xfce42.desktop".

> when you are next in the GDM, if you goto sessions - xfce42 should be listed
well it is not, mostly beause of the above I guess.

> this is all in the installers documentation, along with some other
> useful tips such as using the composite extension for drop shadows and
> transparency (loks very nice but not really suitable for your old
> hardware) the docs are here:
>
> http://www.os-cillation.com/documentation/installers/xfce-installer/
thanks Tom for this hint, I will go trough it soon.

Thanks again, and may be you or someone has an idea how to find this
"xfce42.desktop", Ingo.

--
Ingo Lantschner
T (+43-1) 59 55 766