Applications in next Ubuntu

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:26:21 UTC 2004

> Open Office -- only for WIMPS! Nobody here in my team uses it!

Unfortunately it is similar to that other "Office"...

> Yeah, Abiword and Gnumeric are uch faster and better looking ! And it's
> the officail Gnome Offcice suite anyway, so it really ought to be
> Ubuntu's default, not OpenOffice !

Now, if only Abiword and GNUmeric had "normal" but unimaginative names
like Word Processor or Spread Sheet you could implement them. But
names like Abiword, GNUmeric and The GIMP aren't exactly what you'd
expect in the corporate world.

> Same for Firefox, that's HARDLY a Gnome app in any way or shape.
> Epiphany is the Gnome browser, it works very well.

(I suspect Vince is being deviil's advocate) Epiphany is hardly a full
web browser -- it's found on only one platform (AFAIK... was
underwhelmed by it when I tried it last month), is pretty limited,
and, besides, FireFox is the future for the Mozilla project (where the
most development effort will be focussed). This is like saying "use IE
because it's the official browser for Windows and use MS Office
because it's the official office suite".

Eric.