Ubuntu and screen savers.... :-/

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 15 14:53:38 UTC 2004

> This is my first posting here, and I'm a Linux N00B, but not a tech one.
> Ubuntu is obviously my first foray into Linux, and so far so good (will try
> to get the Linux box on the net in the next week or so. I'm still on my XP
> box for this list).

If you are using broadband with an Ethernet interfaced modem, just type
'pppoeconf' in a terminal, should get you in the web within 30 seconds
or so ! :o)

> So no matter what Ubuntu and Gnome's philosophy is,

It's about ease of use and simplicity through a limited but useful set
of options................

> those screensavers,  just brought two more people into the Linux fold.

Well, not a problem, we will just put all the screen savers in Synpatic
and they will be a click away, for people who really want them. Best of
both worlds then, perfect.

> Now  just to get past the learning curve ;-)

Well, don't be in a hurry. I have been tinkering with Linux for only 9
months, and the feeling I get, is that it is so complex, that you could
probably spend all you life learning aobut it, and still not know half
of it !
So, I try to limit my investigations to the subjects I am really
interested in, in practice, rather than try and learn a bit of
everything and end knowing nothing at all really, and nothing useful for
day to day practice anyway.

Regards,

Vince