GDM issues

thephotoman rantman_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 14:40:12 UTC 2004

Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 05:43:05PM -0600, thephotoman wrote:
>
>>Magnus Therning wrote:

>>>The first thing I'd do is to verify that it really is GDM causing your
>>>problems. I can be a bit anal about setting up new Linux macines, but I
>>>never install GNOME (or GDM) before I know I have an X setup that works.
>>>To verify that X works I use startx and the default WM (TWM), any
>>>problems I run into I fix and then I go ahead and install GNOME and GDM.
>>>
>>>What you can start with doing is to go to a console, log in as root,
>>>then kill GDM (/etc/init.d/gdm stop). Take another console and start X
>>>(startx). If you get a working X environment (likely with a _very_ bad
>>>WM, that's TWM) you can be reasonably sure GDM is the culprit. Otherwise
>>>you need to fix your X setup.
>>>
>>>/M
>>>

>>Then the problem is definitely with GDM.  startx works as long as I'm
>>not using GDM as my window manager.  How do I fix the problem, then?
>

> Argh. I remember having exactly the problem you describe--X keeps on
> restarting a few times, then stops trying with a message that another
> instance of X is running already. I can't remember what I did to fix it
> though. I'm not even sure I did anything except making sure my system
> was properly installed ('apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade') and a
> reboot. (I "upgraded" my system from Sid to Hoary, so it could be that
> my situation is somewhat different from yours.)
>
> Sorry I can't be of more help.
>
> /M

It seems to be an issue with libgtk2.0-0.  The updated version (Hoary)
causes the Warty GDM to break.  Yes, I have done two installs in Hoary:
I got mplayer-386 (as opposed to mplayer-custom, which is generally
known not to work and is the only one available in the Warty multiverse)
and OpenOffice.org 1.1.3.  Must compile the earlier from source and use
OOo 1.1.2, I guess.