ubuntu broken

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:59:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:39:52 +0200, Wilhelm du Plessis
<wilhelm at spheniscus.net> wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> i have managed yet again to break my machine. only this time i don't
> want to just reinstall :) put to much work into it, that i dont want to
> repeat.
>
> this is the error that i get when i try to boot:
>
> "Kernel /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386
> root = /dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
>
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386
>
> Error 15: File not found"
>
> any ideas as to get the box going to try and replace the file ?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Wilhelm
>
> Register Linux user #346596

I dont know if there is an easier way to do this but one way i would
try is this:

Pleae note that these steps are from the gentoo handbook (the distro i
used before uubuntu) so they may not work the same - but you might as
well try...

Load a linux live CD (the ubuntu live cd will do fine, alternatively
knoppix etc)
from a terminal:

$:   mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
$:   mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/ubuntu

(change /dev/hdb1 above to the location of your ubuntu partition)

$:   chroot /mnt/ubuntu
$:   env-update
$:   source /etc/profile

You will now be inside your ubuntu system so doing  cd / will take you
to the root of your installed filesystem, not the live CD filesystem.
env-update and source /etc/profile loads the environemtn variables

from here you can work on your system as normal so the next step would
be to reinstall the kernel.

dpkg remove linux-image
apt-get linux-image

(the above 2 may not be right as i am at work on a win box so cant
check - off the top of my head i think it is right, but the name of
the kernel package might be wrong - anyone else correct me?)
when the kernel is installed again it should have taken care of
updating grub to load the correct image.

I hope this helps, but im working from memory for soemthing i did once
that was above my level then ( and probably still is) at least it might
give yousome pointers...

Tom