iceWM instead of Gnome

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Dec 15 08:02:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:12:12PM +0100, Ingo Lantschner (Lists) wrote:
>Hi all,
>did someone already install iceWM instead of Gnome?
>I have a PIII/600MHz with 128 RAM - its so slow with Gnome.
>
>I already found some icewm...deb and installed them with dpkg --install,
>but I have to switch the desktop from Gnome to iceWM now - and I do not
>know how to.

Do you want IceWM instead of GNOME. or IceWM instead of Metacity in
GNOME?

In the first case you just log out, set the proper session and log back
in.

In the latter case you need to kill Metacity and run IceWM instead:

 (From memory, so I might be wrong here)
 1. Make sure Metacity won't be restarted by GNOME by removing it from
    your current session (System->Preferences->Sessions, check the
    "Current Session" tab).
 2. Kill Metacity and run IceWM instead:
     $ killall -9 metacity; sleep 5; icewm&
 3. Save your session when you log out.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
     -- Bob (on Slashdot)