Audio skipping in Ubuntu

Nathan Howell nathan at crapbox.org
Wed Dec 15 06:55:59 UTC 2004

* Chuck Vose <vosechu at gmail.com> [2004-12-14 22:30]:
> This happened to me occasionally in Windows on other peoples computers;
> almost always it was just running out of free RAM. What is your computer's
> specs? Have you tried watching CPU usage (with top or whatever) until it
> skips? Maybe knowing what's happening during a skip will help you diagnose
> what's going on.

It's an AthlonXP 1800+ w/768MB of RAM. Like I said, I used to run Gentoo, and I
got audio skips with early 2.6test kernels, but things improved, and by the
time Ubuntu came around, audio skips were a distant memory. Under warty I'd get
them under load, and now hoary with 2.6.9 is getting bad. The pc hasn't changed
at all the whole time.

I think I just found something though: I had a nautilus window open (but
minimized), and a video was downloading into that folder.  Nautilus was
constantly thumbnailing it. Closing the window has fixed it so far. I can see
that being the cause, but I'd certainly still call it a problem.

Nathan