"Linux is just Red Hat"

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 23:23:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:59:57 -0800, Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 06:36 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:31:34 -0800, Chuck Vose <vosechu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > As annoying as it is, linux is just redhat. Redhat still runs 90% of
> > > systems and when you are a company with limited resources you aren't
> > > going to put a lot of effort into a niche market of a niche market.
> > >
> > > -Chuck
<SNIP>

> Debian keeps winning the Linux Journal reader's choice award for best
> Linux distro, so from that one could conclude that either there are more
> Debian users than users of other distros, or that Debian users are more
> savvy than users of other distros.

<SNIP>
You can't really use that argument.. unless you want to include the
statistics from www.distrowatch.com which say that Debian is 5th on
the list with Mandrake being 1st.

You got to remember we're talking business environments here, not
hobbyists and geeks..
Your Linux distro doesn't count unless its IPO'd (for the sake of this
argument anyway).
That doesn't mean that I think "debian" is a worthless distro.. its
just that in the eyes of the world media and business world, because
its not a "Company" and there is no accountability or responsibility
that comes attached to the product then its not on their radar.

At this point I'd like to suggest that we need an "Off Topic" mail
list (one that also posts to the forum like this one), because this
list should really be support related and not watered down by these
diverging discussions..
:-)

--
Ubuntu Warty 4.10