Applications in next Ubuntu

Philip p.vassar at comcast.net
Tue Dec 14 20:46:16 UTC 2004

GIMP is a required application in my opinion.

There isn't all that much difference in a corporate and home desktop perhaps
more multimedia in the home but multimedia is being integrated into many
corporate environments.

What I want in the corporation is integrated LDAP support, support for a
central file server for sharing documents a common network share
environment. A way to update all users remotely from a central IT
repository. Restricted shell accounts. Remote desktop access to all my
users.

Seems to me Ubuntu supports that list pretty much already or will when the
auto update is implemented.

There will be customized implementations of ubuntu used in the office just
as there are customized implementations in the home.

The only trick for me is to homogenize the office machines to a supported
hardware list. Once you get past the hardware that ubuntu doesn't support
out of the box the rest seems easy at least to me right now. Perhaps it is a
matter of not knowing enough.