Ubuntu and screen savers.... :-/

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 14 17:59:08 UTC 2004

It's only today that I have the opportunity to look at the screensaver
dialog in Ubuntu.
There are, I still can't believe it, 204 screen savers listed.
I don't think this complies with Ubuntu and Gnome's philosophy of
offering a limited but useful set of choices.

With so moany different screensavers, I didn't really had choice,
because I just could bother trying all of them nor did I have the time
to do so, especially for something like a screensaver.

So, seeing as I couldn't possibly try them all, I just clicked on one of
them at random. BAD LUCK !!! I happened to click on "spheremonics", and
this hung my computer ! I rebooted the machine, opened the screenssaver
dialog again, so as to choise a different saver, but the dialog freezes
the machine long before I have time to do anything !

So I searched in  /usr and found 3 files related to that saver. I
deleled the binary, which allowed me to restart gnome's dialog and
select another screen saver, but there are still 2 other files in two
different directories that needs deleting. Plus, Gnomle STILL lists that
screen saver, albeit "shaded", not available.

So two things that really needs sorting for Hoary/Gnome 2.10 :

1) Ubuntu should ship only a limited number of screensavers, a
manageable number, say 20 max. We can always put the others in an
optional package in Synpatic, for example.

2) Make it easy to DELETE a screen saver. Just put a button in the
screen saver dialog, that will delete cleanly the screen saver : delete
all it's files, in all directories, and update the index file so that
they don't appear in the list anymore eventhough they have been deleted.

Please do that, can't be that complicated can it... :-/

Regards,

Vince