ubuntu littered with malicious viruses, some oriented toward Linux

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 15:27:48 UTC 2004

At 01:34 14/12/04, Kent Frazier wrote:

> > PS Virii = plural of virius (if it existed), also, the Romans managed
> > to have exceptions to the rule like nearly any other language. Genus
> > <> geni (genera), opus <> opi (opera)... if you really want to muck
> > things up, I propose we start using virera.
>
>Not that this should go on any longer, but I just thought you should
>know that neither genus nor opus are exceptions to Latin rules.  Most
>words in Latin that end in -us are masculine nouns of the second
>[snip]
>nominative forms of the noun.  The stems of these nouns are gener- and
>oper-, respectively.  Being that they are both neuter, they take the
>regular neuter plural ending of -a, which is pretty universal
>regardless of which declension the noun falls into.
>
>How's that for splitting hairs. :-)
>
>Kent

I worked in the British education system in the late 1970s, the days of the BBC
Micro.  One of the ways we pushed computer studies onto reluctant headmasters
was by suggesting that programming, with its arcane and rigid rules, was "The
new Latin".

Now that programming languages have improved, have things come full circle?

Neil