Problems with sound (Intel 810) and the volume slider

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Mon Dec 13 18:05:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 debian_noob at web.de wrote:

Hello,

> I have two problems:  One is that Warty loads the false modules,

Knopix still uses OSS sound modules;  whereas Ubuntu uses ALSA (Advanced
Linux Sound Architecture).

So there are actually two completely different sets of drivers in this case.
>From the listings, it would appear as though the correct drivers, but
something is obviously not working as it should.

Can you look in the dmesg output on the Ubuntu install and see if there are
any error messages when the drivers are loaded that could to pinpoint the
problem.

> and the other problem is that I cannot adjust the volume slider on the
> right top of the Gnome screen. It jumps back to the "-"(minus) position.

If the modules are not loading correctly, then the volume probably won't
work---in this case, the Gnome Sound Volume Applet is trying to change the
volume, failing and displaying that failure.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  Mataro, ES