Problems with Hotplug

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 13 02:55:12 UTC 2004

> But......it hung up on the first reboot this time.
> ...The only thing I can see being a problem is USB. That's a keyboard,
> mouse, 2 jump drives, CD-writer, external 80GB drive. There are 2
> external USB hubs, an internal hub and 2 USB cards in addition to the
> builtin USB ports. The mouse and keyboard are both Logitech, shared
> through a KVM switch with a Mac.

Oh my God, is really all that stuff USB ???
Just remove ALL that stuff (you don't K/B nor mouse to boot !) and see
what happens, then plug them back, one at a time. For each device you
add, boot twice or thrice to be "about" sure the problems doesn't
reappear. And don't use the dwithc for K/B and mouse, you never know.

I have never heard/read nothing but trouble stories with USB devices,
whatever the kind of device. I haven't yet seen the usefulnes of USB
devices, so sure enough, no USB stuff will ever make it to my computer.

Keybaord and mice have already a port of their own : PS/2, use it, it's
bullet proof, why re-invent the wheel ?

Scanners ? should be SCSI.

CD-writer external ? Get SCSI one as well.

USB sticks ? Yes that's convenient, but then again, why not just use a
re-writeable CD.

Broadband modem ? Use Ethernet interface.

The only thing that's interesting with USB, is connecting your digital
camera and get it hotplugged as a storage device, then just drag and
drop your pics into a local drive. That is wonderful. Thank god this
seems to work fine. But for everything else, I would stay away from
USB !!

Good luck anyway,

Regards,

Vince