booting from usb drive

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sat Dec 11 22:07:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 09:38 +0100, oliver oli wrote:
> mkinitrd documentation gives not much help, but it seems that
> mkinitrd-cd should do the job. unfortunatly i'm doing something wrong or
> triggering a bug:
>
> oli1:/home2/root# mkinitrd-cd /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/
> initrd-usb.img-2.6.8-1-686 full 2.6.8
> Creating file structure ... done
> Creating device files ... done
> Copying modules ...
> ls: /tmp/tmp-initrd-files-3063/modules/*: No such file or directory
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd-cd: line 182: [: -gt: unary operator expected

That error is an indication that there is a test expression that
contains an un-double-quoted shell variable interpolation, and that
variable is not assigned any value at that point, so it expands to the
empty string.  Either the $VAR should be quoted like "$VAR", or the
script should ensure that it has a value when the test is performed.

> gzip: /tmp/tmp-initrd-files-3063/modules/*: No such file or directory
> oli1:/home2/root#

That is probably cascade error due to the above, where code is not run
that otherwise would have to create the missing file...  I say this
without looking at the actual script in question.

You are doing the right thing to post that to the list for assistance.
That is how we learn this trade.