Mysterious 'startx' failure

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Sat Dec 11 16:49:01 UTC 2004

n Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 04:27:15PM +0100, KAeL wrote:

> >The only indications I could find that something might be wrong are
> >messages concerning the font server:
> >"Could not init font path element unix:/7100, removing from list".
> >And a list of warnings about 'font renderers' already being registered
> >at priority 0. ('.pcf', etc.)

> could you tell us what is in /var/log/XFree86.0.log ?
> What you see on your screen are juste warnings, I think there should be
> an error which can be seen in  the log file

I didn't mention XFree86.0.log because the only untoward things I
saw in it were the same font warnings.

Here is the result of 'less XFree86.0.log |grep '(WW)' :

(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
        Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in
+"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID".
         Entry deleted from font path.
        (Run 'mkfontdir' on "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID").
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

There are no indications of any errors (or (EE) or (??)) and it ends with:

Synaptics DeviceOn called
(--) Synaptics Touchpad synaptics touchpad found
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
Synaptics DeviceOff called

Of course the 'mkfontdir' does not make any difference.

Alexander