modprobe.conf versus modules.conf

Brian Craft bcboy at thecraftstudio.com
Sat Dec 11 00:24:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 11:49:19PM +0100, Roland Wegmann wrote:
> Hello all
>
> First I use Warty (kernel 2.6.8.1-3-powerpc).As far as I know (I read
> somewhere) do kernels >= 2.6 need modprobe.conf and not modules.conf,
> but there isn't a modporbe.conf (only a directory modprobe.d). Why do I
> have a modules.conf?

I've been puzzling over this, too. It appears the modules.conf mechanism
is depreciated, but still there. The new mechanism seems to be hotplug,
so no aliasing required. At least, most of my devices were handled
by hotplug automatically. The exception was my wireless card, which
requires ndiswrapper.

I spent some time in /etc/hotplug trying to find a place to extend the
pci id database, but it looks like only the usb handler has such a
mechanism, usb.handmap.

So I dropped it in /etc/modules instead, which simply loads it at
boot. Not great, but it works.

b.c.