will firefox 1.1 make hoary release?

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 16:53:04 UTC 2004

> Well, if you're going as far as installing unsupported software, you
> might as well put it in an unsupported place. :)  (which I did for a
> while in Warty) Lots of people complained to me that this wasn't very
> "clean", but it worked perfectly for me, didn't mess up the database,
> and allowed me to run either version. I just installed the Mozilla
> version in:
>
> /home/username/bin/firefox
>
> Then manually added a launch for it in the top panel. I could launch
> the official, or the unofficial (but not both at the same time). :)

what I did was to install my copy in /usr/local/MozillaFirefox.  Then
in /usr/local/bin,  I created a symlink to the "firefox" binary
/usr/local/MozillaFirefox.    Since the default browser launch  button
points to "firefox" without a full path, and /usr/local/bin is pretty
high in a default PATH system environment, I didn't have to add a new
launcher to my panel.  Save you one step :)