UBuntu on older machines ?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 06:29:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:37:44 +0100, Ivo Marino <eim at mentors.debian.net> wrote:
> As soon as I'll get XFree running on my old 200MHz notebook I'll
> consider installing XFCE instead of GNOME or better: I'll try both.

I tried both on my 200 Mhz Pentium system (Compaq Deskpro 4000) and I
switched back to Gnome because I missed all the nice little details
that have already been set up. If you spent some time you could
probably get many of them going in xfce.

In my opinion, Gnome runs fine on the 200 Mhz machine, though I think
I have something like 192 Mb RAM, and I just added a 200 GB hard drive
(I use the computer as a file server and scanner station).