Hoary pitfalls?

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Dec 10 01:03:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 06:20:34PM -0500, Hikaru79 wrote:

> If you have a video card such as NVidia or ATI, I'd be worried about
> switching over to x.org -- I've met tons of people (myself included)
> that got their resolution frozen at 640x480 when switching over, and it
> took a lot of messing around with conf files to finally get things back.
> Also, you're going to have to lose some packages until they reach a
> version that is on par with their dependencies. For example, at this
> time of writing, Nautilus' CD burner won't work because they've
> packaged the next version of Nautilus but not of the CD burning part.
>
> All in all though, not too many problems. If you like getting your feet
> wet, come on over :)

It probably depends on the card.  I have an older ATI Rage Pro card
which works fine, although I suspect a Radeon might have problems.  I
had bad results with any version with a Nvidia card and the ATI was the
only other AGP card in my spare parts box.  I have experienced no
problems whatsoever with hoary.