Viruses from ubuntu list

Shango Oluwa shango at mewe.org.uk
Fri Dec 10 00:45:01 UTC 2004

List,

We've gotten viruses for 2 days only ... our procmail not having
filtered out a virus for months now...

My conclusion, from having subscribed to many linux-specific lists over
the past years, is that users (or just one user!) on this list are using
Windows to send, receive or read emails from the UbuntuLinux list.

The specific virus I am getting to my inbox is classified:

Microsoft Windows Infection: W32/Sober.J at mm

by f-prot antivirus.

*Notice how your email client automatically attempts to link the virus's
name: a security point that all readers should take specific note of and
contemplate...

However, remember that this is a GNU/Linux list: many users who are busy
migrating from Windos use this list. Many of those users still have
varying degrees of dependence on Microsoft (including mail serving &
mail reading). So, of course, we are having to deal with the
vulnerabilities of Win 9x/ME/2000/XP/Longhorn - yet, in the same breath
- those newcomers to UbuntuLinux are welcome because they are learning
the GNU/Linux way. Not true?

My organisation does not foresee this situation changing in the medium
term, so we keep our firewall, our proxy and our mail-server tightly
secure. Thanking our ancestors' protection and goodwill, we are
installing UbuntuLinux on all the hosts in our organisational network.
Congratulations, the team and welcome new users, but check your
connections won't you?

Sala wena,
Shango Oluwa