Successful upgrade from Sid to Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Dec 9 20:32:20 UTC 2004

Just thought I'd report that I have successfully (I am quite confident
:-) upgraded my Debian Sid to Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog. I followed the
"instructions" on the Wiki, nothing too complicated happened:

 1. Modifying /etc/apt/sources.list
 2. 'apt-get update'
 3. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' failed due to gnumeric requiring some
    libraries. I was told to do 'apt-get -f install' and that did indeed
    take care of it.
 4. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' failed again, complaining about
    /etc/init.d/xfree86-common still existing (it was cleaning out some
    stuff in /etc/rcX.d but failed, it was on some xfree86 package).
    Manually removing the file and then running 'apt-get' again fixed
    that.

I was planning on updating the Wiki, but it seems ubuntulinux.org is
down (my ISP has been known to suck at times though).

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

Mathematics is the queen of sciences, and the theory of numbers is the
queen of mathematics.
     -- Karl Friedrich Gauss