ZIP drives: feature request for Hoary ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 9 11:59:45 UTC 2004

Hmmmm.....

I rebooted the machine then it got worse, it would not even mount the
drive, saying the file system was not specified and that it could not be
determinated... weird...

Had a look at the /media folder. Noticed the strange Ubuntu way of doing
things :  'floppy0' folder then a 'floppy' symlink to it, same for the
cd-rom drive...

So I renamed my mounting point to 'zip0' then put a 'zip' simlink to it,
and now all is well. I rebooted the machine, but it still works
perfectly, so that must have fixed it.

But why the hell does it need a symlink ? And why do I have to call it
zip0 instead of something more meaningfull ? 'zip0' doesn't look very
'clean'.

Also, it's a little bit annoying, because I have then no control over
the naming of the ZIP drive in Nautilus. Under the drive icon it says
"Lecteur Zip 1". Where I would have prefered it to use a name of my own.
For exmaple I have 2 drives, this external one, and another, internal
IDE ZIP drive. Having a drive number doesn't help, what would be useful
is to let me name them my way, so I can call one "ZIP internal" and the
other "ZIP external". That would be more usefull and would look
"cleaner" as well.
But then when I insert a disk in it and mount it, it calls the disk
"zip0".  So under the icon I get "Lecteur Zip 1 : zip0". (see picture
attached)
I guess this comes from the 'zip0' folder I had to create in /media, to
mimic what was done by Ubuntu for the floppy and CD drive.
But again, that doesn't look very clean nor useful. What would be more
useful, is to display the actual name of the ZIP disk, as stored in it.
I mean it's a MS-DOS ZIP disk which has a label/name in it.
You know, in MS-DOS days, you could give disks (floppies, ZIPs...) a 11
name using the "vol" command. That was limited to eleven charcaters,
butt hat was a very nice feature nonetheless. You would insert a ZIP,
and the file manager would display the name you gave to that particular
disk.
Isn't there a similar feature in Linux ?

Anyway, I will survive ;o) but that's a little something that we could
work on, to make Ubuntu that little bit cleaner/more attractive.

Regards,

Vince

PS: please don't tell me that 100MB ZIP drives are out dated and that
having two of them doesn't makes sense ! ;o) I just love my old ZIP
drives so want the naming in Nautilus to be improved...