Totem/Eina/Gamp

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 9 08:45:17 UTC 2004

I am trying to find a Gnome friendly replacement to Xmms to play MP3.

I use Rhythmbox to play my audio CD's converted in OGG, but I don't find
it suitable to read MP3's, as it mixes my audio CD's with my numerous
MP3s, it's a huge mess.

So I tried to use Totem, but I am having two problems :

1) I can save a playlist, but when I try load it later, it generates an
error, like it didn't even recognize it's own playlist and tried to read
it as a osund/video file.

2) I can't find any option in the preferences, to hide the video window.
It diplays visual effects in there, when there is obviously no need for
anything but the basic control buttons. I can turn the effect off, but
not hide the window so as to get a small/minimalist interface.

So I looked at gnomefiles.org and found a couple programs I fancy but am
having problems with each of them:

1) 'Eina' : doesn't seem mature, it crashes/disappears everytime I try
to open an MP3 file, be it by drag and drop or using the file choser
dialog. So it's useless

2) 'Gamp' : to many dependencies (half a dozen IIRC), are either missing
from Warty, or outdated.

Is anyone having more luck than I, with any of the above programs ?

I could try to add the Hoary repository to Synaptic to try and see if it
helps, but I am so scared of breaking my Warty which I have just
re-installed...

Regards,

Vince