Windows typography reproduction

alleister ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Dec 8 19:25:13 UTC 2004

the reason font display sucks so bad on linux is that apple likes to
profit from the opensource scene but not  to share... they have patents
on the way ttf fonts are rendered in a bearable fashion.
to get non-ugly font display you have to switch on the patented code in
the ttf server and recompile it... i tried it a couple of times
following instructions on how to do it but failed every time.
i feel like you... the antialiased fonts are giving me headache because
they are difficult to read, but nonantialiased they look so broken that
they aren't bearable.
it is strange however, i remember fonts where ok in suse 7.3

i would even prefer bitmap fonts over the ttf situation right now. it
is the reason i boot to windows for serious work... writing longer
sourcecode just hurts my eyes to much on linux right now.

--
alleister