Editor can't edit

Arnold Maestre arnold.maestre at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 17:19:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 02:03:06 -0500, alex <radsky at ncia.net> wrote:

> No, ubuntu's editors can't touch it...

I'm sorry, but as far as I know, this is simply not possible on a
basic Ubuntu install. So let's get things straight. You fire up gedit
as a normal user, open menu.lst, and find it read-only. This is
normal. menu.lst belongs to root, so you mere mortal cannot edit it.

Now you open a terminal, and type "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst".
Your shell asks for your password, you give it, and you get a gedit
window, running with superuser privileges, where you can edit the
file, don't you ?

One of the problems I see here, is that there is no GUI-fied way of
getting a root editor. Sure, gksuexec is in the "System Tools" menu,
but it is basically useless since it asks for the root password. Could
we have a sudo version ?

--
Arnold Maestre