Editor can't edit

alex radsky at ncia.net
Tue Dec 7 06:28:48 UTC 2004

Oliver Grawert wrote:

>hi,
>Am Montag, den 06.12.2004, 13:25 -0800 schrieb Bob Nielsen:
>

>>On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:17:17AM -0500, alex wrote:
>>

>>>I managed to make the grub changes by running  KNOPPIX  and using  its
>>>editor to make the  changes in UBUNTU's grub/menu.lst  and UBUNTU  now
>>>boots the way I wanted  it.......Wonderful!!!   I can now boot  two MS
>>>Windows,  four Linux 's but it has to be within the 2 seconds to make
>>>the selection.
>>>

>>You can increase the two seconds by changing the value of timeout on
>>menu.lst (of course you need to edit it to do that :^)  ).
>>

>you also could install my little helper tool:
>http://www.grawert.net/software/startup-settings/
>
>:)
>
>ciao
>	oli

Thanks, but it seems that I probably didn't describe my problem
properly.   It's not that I can't boot ubuntu properly.-----I did edit
UBUNTU's  menu.lst to give me the boot menu that I wanted but  I  had to
run KNOPPIX and use its editor to make the changes in UBUNTU's
/boot/grub/menu.lst.     UBUNTU's editor could not edit anything in
UBUNTU----too many read only files.------but KNOPPIX's  editors can edit
UBUNTU's read only files.

The 2 second boot timeout out is what I wanted.
.