Language : big problems with French !! :o(

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 6 17:27:34 UTC 2004

>  >To switch loacale run
>  >       sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
>  >pick a UTF-8 encoding for your locale, then login out and in again.
>
> It is a bit of a basic interface, but just work through it as it functions
> well.
>
> Basically you need to deselect the current locale version(s) and substitute
> one that uses UTF-8.  Probably best to have one including 'euro' if you want
> to do currency stuff easily.
>
> Neil

Just did it. I selected french UTF-8 without Euro (don't have it on my
k/B, it's too old).

My /etc/locales/gen file now looks like:

vincent at Lotus-Esprit:/etc $ head locale.gen
fr_FR ISO-8859-1

fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8

So it nicely added a new line with the new character set I have just
selected. However when I log out and select French UTF-8 in GDM, it
tells me that French UTF-8 doesn't exist ! It's in my locales.gen file,
it's in GDM language menu, but it doesn't exist... is GDM losing his
mind ?? :-/  I tried to force it anyway, but it used system default
instead, or so he said.
Now rythmbox seems to display filenames properly, Open office too, but
Gnuméric still doens't show some directories. Maybe that's because of
the file choser dialog it uses, I don't know. The new version of
Gnumeric has the new Gnome 2.8 file choser dialog, maybe it will work
better.
XMMS still displays blancks/spaces instead of Frenhc characters, but I
am not too worried as I intend to replace it with Gnome app soon. "Eina"
probably, once it's debugged and doesn't crash everytime I try to open a
file... :-/

Vince