open office 2.0

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 16:55:45 UTC 2004

Greetings,

The OpenOffice site has a beta version of OpenOffice 2.0 for download.
http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html#download
The actual number is openoffice-1.9.62.
The download is a tar.gz containing rpm's. There are instructions for
installing on Debian here.
http://installation.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=609
Remember to change the /opt/openofficexxx to the correct number. The
instructions are for a previous build.) Once done I symlinked the
soffice app to /usr/bin and had to chmod it to run it as user.
It "works", though I haven't tested it in anyway, but everything seems
to open.

This is a beta version and so use at your own risk. I don't recommend
this to anyone except those who are confident or skilled enough to
understand what they are doing.

It doesn't seem to like closing and thus far I seem to get the Force
Quit dialogue box come up every time.
But it does have the new database frontend.

Regards

David