TV card & Ubuntu

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 6 14:35:46 UTC 2004

> I also recomend BT chipset cards. They work great, in Linux and on
> BeOS.. I have more trouble with it in WindowsXP then in any other OS.
> It works with suplied drivers and fugly app in WindowsMe, but in XP it
> is nightmare to use.

I second that.

I bought a super cheap '40 Euros !) 'Pinnacle PC TV Rave' TV card, with
that usual BT878 chip. Under windows XP, the picture is really crap, and
the performance piss poor (takes 3 seconds to change channel !), and the
user interface very ugly.

With Linux, with XawTV, the picture is zillion times better, and
changing channels is simply lightening fast using the keyboard. User
interface is great, because there isn't any, just a nice clean window
with the image in it.
It takes secodns to set up. Just enable universe/multiverse in Synpatic,
and download xawtv. that's it.
You can even record movies with it, make a screenshot, display in full
screen mode (doesn't work on  my PC anymore but I think it happened when
I changed video card somehow, and can't seem to cure it)
XawTV and BT based card just rock, go for it you won't be disappointed.

Just my 2 Euro cents ;o)

Vince