Nautilus ate my customer's website

Matthew Davidson mjd at almatech.net.au
Mon Dec 6 12:16:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 17:45 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> A wise man once said " there are two types of people in this world.
> Those who do regular backups, and those who have never had a disk
> failure" :-)

This is not an excuse in this instance.  You might as well say "all
operating systems get the blue screen of death.  It's your fault you
don't save your work every thirty seconds."  An FTP client that kills
megabytes of files while trying to edit a single 14kb file is a broken
FTP client.  Saying "nyah, nyah, nyah, you should have done a backup"
isn't an answer.  A backup with what?  Not the Nautilus FTP client,
that's for sure.

As I said, I can still access the files via Nautilus.  In fact, I was
able to back them up _after_ the disaster.  I just can't access the
files using any other FTP client.  Yes, that's after rebooting and every
other trick in the Windows first level support book ("Is the computer
plugged in?  Are you wearing clean underpants?" etc.).  Something
seriously weird is going on, and I'm interested in knowing what and why.

A wise man might one day say "relying on some cool feature of GNOME to
actually work as promised can be a career killer."

Matthew.

--
Alma Technology
http://www.almatech.net.au