Partitioning tool ?

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Mon Dec 6 10:00:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 08:44 -0500, jiyuu0 wrote:
> qtparted

Look at http://www.sysresccd.org/ -- get a copy and try it out.  They
have a qtparted that runs on the framebuffer.  I've successfully used it
on two occasions to resize Windows XP file systems to make room for
Debian.

It should be possible to hack support for the libntfs (that is used by
the ntfs-tools that qtparted makes use of) into libparted itself,
opening the possibility of having the installer's partman be capable of
resizing NTFS partitions.  I wish someone would do this.

Advice is to boot to XP, defrag, then boot to installer or rescue CD and
resize.  The defrag is supposed to help it succeed... or perhaps that's
a superstition.  You tell me and we'll both know.  I don't know how it
works.

--
     Karl Hegbloom                 ,''`.
(o_   mailto:hegbloom at pdx.edu      : :' :