Ubuntu KDE

Viro ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Dec 6 09:18:11 UTC 2004

Romeyn Prescott Wrote:
> At 3:06 PM -0500 12/5/04, Viro scribbled:
>
> <whole lotta snippage>
>
> >That's all very nice, but you haven't given a reason why KDE is
> >necessary. GNOME has everything   it needs to be a commercial success.
> >There is a tight integration between the applications, the interface
> is
> >a lot cleaner than KDE, there is less clutter in the menus, and Ubuntu
> >does a very good job of making everything work together.
> >

> OK...even though I'm in favor of sticking with one or the other...and
> I like gnome...I don't DISlike KDE.  The few times I've tried it it
> seemed OK.
>
> I'm no expert on the vagaries of *ix desktop environments and window
> managers.  Indeed, every time I try to learn about it I get a
> headache and I've given up on searching for Themes because I never
> really know what I'm using and therefore have no idea what'll work.
> (What the hell is "metacity," anyhow? (No, I don't really want an
> answer.))
>
> But it seems to me that your arguments here are spurious at best.
> Both KDE and Gnome can be made to look identical as was demonstrated
> by...what was it...RedHat 8.0?  It didn't matter if you used KDE or
> Gnome, it looked the same.  A DE looks like/is as cluttered as the
> person who designs the distro wants it to be.  It's menus aren't
> inherently chock full o' stuff!
>
> Are they?
>
> ....ROMeyn
> --
> signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm

RedHat made GNOME and KDE look similar with their bluecurve theme in
RedHat 8, but the similarities are superficial. GNOME was/is still less
cluttered. Just try right clicking on the desktop. See how many options
GNOME gives you, and how many KDE gives. Go to the control panel. See
how cluttered the KDE control panel is.

That's not to say that KDE is bad. IMHO, KDE is faster and more
responsive, more widely supported, has a better development library
(you gotta love Qt) and looks to be getting faster with each release.

That said, I just don't see why Ubuntu should release a new version
with KDE included as GNOME works just fine.

--
Viro