Looking for suggestions to speed up desktop performance

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 22:04:46 UTC 2004

> > > Things just seem sluggish when I move windows around and the

> > Yep definitely, as Link said, add more RAM.  My system was about similar
> > to yours, then I switched from 256MB of RAM, to 512MB, and the
> > improvement was obvious, try it, RAM is cheap and is always a good
> > thing.

My main home machine is a PIII with only 192mb of memory.  And I would
say warty work pretty well.  You cannot do heavy-duty movie playing or
gaming on it,  for examples, and you cannot run an insane number of
applets or fancy desktop eye candies,  but for normal day-to-day
operation (xterm,  rhymthbox, Firefox, thunderbird, etc) in a home
environment  it works pretty well and is a very affordable system.  I
would say say that's it feels more responsive than the previous distro
that was on this hardware (Fedora 1 using either Gnome or KDE)

And I'm sure for some people (and in some part of the world) RAM is
not so cheap to get (and in some older PCs, technically impossible to
install)