can login in gnome only with failsafe

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 17:14:24 UTC 2004

I suspect your screen size may have been thrown out of whack.

Try moving the mouse to the edges of the screen and see if you have
"virtual desktop" activated (don't know you call the scrolling in
Linux).

It sounds like you're logging into GNOME normally and suffering from
screen size problems. You may want to investigate your XF86Config
file.

Eric.

On 04 Dec 2004 20:03:44 -0500, Godfrey <glam at 295.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try to login, I only get a brown screen with nothing on it
> except the pointer, moving the mouse will move the pointer. There is
> no pannels at the top, neither at the bottom of the screen.
> Crl+Alt+Backspace kill the brown screen and bring back to the GDM
> login screen.  Then when I click on Session, and choose "failsafe on
> Gnome", I can login with the panels, and gnome works fine.  So I
> cannot login gnome normally anymore.  I have no problem before, now I
> can only login with "failsafe".  Any idea?

Sincerely, Eric Dunbar