avoid syncronising clock and how to dial-up

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Sat Dec 4 16:17:55 UTC 2004

enrike at altern.org wrote:

>I understand then that there is no way to do something as root in a GUI
>mode. In other words to do admin work you have to use the terminal and do
>it with commands. In this case then i would have to edit the file with a
>commands line editor. Is this correct? if so could you explain me how to
>do it? i have done it once but i cannot remember very well how to use this
>command line editors. Or maybe i should read some manual about this basic
>unix tasks? otherwise i am gonna be bombarding the list with such basic
>questions ...

For any root tasks not easily accomplished using the menus, either
launch a root terminal or do a

    $ sudo -s

To make yours a root terminal. then launch Nautilus or gedit or whatever
you want to use with a

    $ gedit /etc/somefile &

or whatever tool you want to use.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c