building ubuntu-based distro?

Sat Dec 4 14:55:44 UTC 2004

> what kind of specific customization do you envision for your "project"
> ?
> What is your goal ?

To create an easy-to-install distro that's both usable and fairly
slick-looking. My opinion (which has been backed up by Windows users
I've shown Ubuntu to) is that the default GNOME theme looks a little
unimpressive, and I'd rather use something like Bluecurve that might
impress people more.

There are also some configuration elements I'd like to change, such as
modifying /etc/fstab so other partitions mount automatically, showing
things on the desktop by default, possibly moving the menu to the lower
left for the increased comfort of Mac and Windows users, adding some
extensions (like an Expose clone), and, like you, supporting multimedia
out of the box.

It would additionally be cool to do a little code modification so the
"open in browser" and "open in the same window" options in GNOME are
once again separate.

There's also Progeny Componentized Linux, which looks to be designed
for this sort of thing. I've been unable to get the associated distro
to install, though, so I'm waiting on that. Besides, Ubuntu folks are
just so friendly :-)

--Dave