Can't burn CDs from Nautilus.

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 14:15:24 UTC 2004

At 13:28 04/12/04, Duncan wrote:

>Neil Woolford wrote:
>
>>But where should I be looking?  Nautilus just isn't offering me the
>>possibility of selecting my drive.
>>How should it detect it, can I configure this manually or force a
>>redetection?
>>
>>Neil
>
>If you type "cdrecord -scanbus" from the root command line, you will see
>if a cdwriter is available or not.

Well, apparently not.  I suspect the key line is;

cdrecord:  no such file or directory.  Cannot open '/dev/pg*'.  Cannot open
SCSI driver.

However, if I turn to Brian Ward's 'How Linux Works' and try;

cdrecord -inq dev=/dev/hdc

I get;

Device type     : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
etc etc.

The drive is detected.as "Generic mmc CD-RW"

I now need to do my shopping and have a coffee.

Restating my problem;

Nautilus CD burner is installed and can produce an ISO image from files on
my hard drive.
It won't allow me to record to a blank CD in the drive, either from the
image or directly from selected
files.  It doesn't autodetect a blank disc either, although the drive spins
up and down if one is inserted.

My CD drive is an IDE device installed as hdc.  It plays music and data CDs
fine.
Cdrecord can find and identify the drive *if* it is pointed at it
explicitly and set to look for an IDE device.
(This is consistent with the modern kernel used in Ubuntu, emulating SCSI
should be a thing of the past.)

What I seem to be missing may be some method of forcing Nautilus to look
for the IDE device rather
than go through a SCSI emulation that fails?  Just a theory, and not backed
up by detailed evidence...

Neil