eject cdroms

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at luukku.com
Fri Dec 3 16:00:24 UTC 2004

pe, 2004-12-03 kello 05:32 -0500, David Miller kirjoitti:
> lonblu at tiscali.it wrote:
>
> > mmmmmmmmm....
> > I used to use supermount on ther distroes in which you just press the button
> > and the cdrom ejects
> > no way to do this in ubuntu?
> > I guess supermount patch in the kernel is incompatible ....isn't it?
>
> Go into Desktop Settings to Keyboard Shortcuts.  There's one in there
> for Eject.  Set it to whatever you like :)

Why didn't anybody tell me this? I've been always right clicking to get
my disks out and wondering couldn't this be made easier. And someone was
just keeping it secret :-)

It would be nice to have clever ways of doing things in Ubuntu and Gnome
collected in a form of a wiki page. I mean everyday things that one does
with a computer and some one knows that can be made easier. People who
help inexperienced people to use computers are in a good position to
notice this kind of things.

One such thing that I have noticed, to give an example, is that when
people scroll up or down a web page/document, they often crab the mouse,
aim at either of those litle squares at the end of the vertical scroll
bar and click on it, instead of pressing the space bar or Page Down
-button. Although using mouse for this is inconvinient and unpractical,
I often see people to do so. Someone might say that such short cuts are
explained in the user guides and if people read them, they will find
out. But there are a lot of things in user guides and they all feel
difficult for a new user at first. And maybe the first time is the only
time they'll ever try.

Just my two cents (I have no idea what this "two cents" means or if it
fits here, but I have seen it so often that I had to use it once
myself :-)

Ari