Fwd: Anyone using Ubuntu for a home mail and web server

Matthew Bassett ubuntu-users at manymonkeys1.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 19:37:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 11:47 +1000, Senectus . wrote:

> Apologies if Sean got this twice.. I stuffed up on the reply..
>
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:35:34 -0600, Sean Kelley <sean.ku at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone is using Ubuntu for a home mail and web
> > server.  If so, how do you handle the install?  My understanding is
> > that you can do a custom minimum install and go from there.  I would
> > probably use Apache+PHP4 on the web and Postfix for the mail transport
> > agent.
>
> I too am interested in this.
> I'm currently am using Gentoo as my home router/web/file server (I
> haven't ventured into mail yet), but I'm having so much success and
> fun with Ubuntu that I'm very tempted to rebuild it into an Ubuntu
> server.
>
> My question is that it's my impression that Ubuntu is aimed at the
> desktop/laptop market and that its not aimed at the server market at
> all... I can't really see why that would matter but maybe someone else
> does?
>
> Should it be a simple thing to give it NAT and MASQ abilities ?

In addition to what everyone else (probably) said: it's a doddle to
install squid, and I would recommend it if you have more than one ubuntu
machine connecting (even if only to be nice to the Ubuntu update
servers ;-) )

Also there's nothing to stop you doing a regular install and adding the
bits you want for the server (that's what I did-- I don't mind having
X / gdm running on my 'server')

I never managed to get SAMBA working nicely (and never even bothered
trying NFS), but then I "serve" files via sftp VFS in GNOME so I don't
really care.