[ubuntu-us] Ubuntu Oregon: Progress Update

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu-oregon.org
Sat Sep 24 21:59:06 UTC 2011

Hi LoCo Council & Ubuntu Americas,

I wanted to provide a update on Ubuntu Oregon for your review:

Ubuntu Oregon had gone pretty silent for a number of months due to what
I believe was a lack of motivation from anyone to lead the team. I
personally was disappointed about the lack of events and during OSCON I
took the lead and have been working hard to bring things together.
Ubuntu Oregon had multiple members at OSCON and worked with the Ubuntu
Washington Team to man a booth every day of the expo and we also pulled
off a popular Ubuntu Global Jam and had approximately 15+ people in
attendance. Myself and one other member ran a Ubuntu Booth at PuppetConf
this entire past week which went very well and we distributed nearly 50
Desktop CD's and 30 Server CD's and Four Bags of Ubuntu Lanyards.

Some Improvements in Ubuntu Oregon:

    * Ubuntu Oregon's IRC grew from 4 users to 26 since the end of July
      of this year
    * Ubuntu Oregon holds regular monthly meetings on IRC and had not
      done this in the past
    * Ubuntu Oregon is working to help revive Salem LUG (Salem Area
      Ubuntu Users)
    * Ubuntu Oregon will have someone holding Ubuntu Classes at FreeGeek
      (Myself)
    * Ubuntu Oregon has giving three talks at other related user groups
      since July

I think Ubuntu Oregon is making great progress and we are reaching out
to make connections with the people at OSU OSL (Oregon State University
Open Source Labs) and I personally am trying to encourage team members
in rural areas to scout for Ubuntu Users and hold regional meetup's when
possible while providing them with resources to do such.

Notably there are still things that need to be worked on and improved
but I do think we are moving quickly in the right direction and it is my
hope that the Oregon LoCo will grow so robust that it will never need to
be revived again.

And for those who likes photos here is a group photo of Canonical
Employees with Ubuntu Oregon Team from this past week at PuppetConf:
http://imgur.com/GPKMV

Any feedback, questions or comments are appreciated.

-

/*Benjamin Kerensa*/

Team Lead

*Ubuntu Oregon <http://www.ubuntu-oregon.org>*