[ubuntu-us] Copy HDD

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 30 08:08:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Terry Arnall <terry.ubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed UBUNTU only on this HDD.  I would like to make a copy of
> this HDD/Ubuntu operating system so I can reinstall it later after
> formatting the HDD and installing Win 7 for a dual booting situation.
>
> How do I make a Copy to install later?
>
> Please be simple and specific - I am fairly new to Ubuntu.

Unfortunately this isn't a simple request, Brandon's suggestion was
what a lot of people would do but it's not super simple. What
precisely do you need to back up? User data and settings?

The best idea is probably taking all the contents of your /home/user/
directory and making a backup (to another harddrive, or if it's small
enough, to a CD or DVD). Then you can install Ubuntu again and copy
the contents over to your new home directory.

As for friendliness on this list, the Ubuntu-US mailing list is
primarily for guidance of individual teams within the US (there is one
in almost every state), you may also want to check out the Ubuntu
Users mailing list for this question:
something on ubuntuforums.org

>From your email I see you're in Hayward, CA - there are a lot of
groups in the Bay Area to also get assistance from (I'm in San
Francisco, but attend LUGs and events all over the area). This
includes a local Ubuntu team, find out more at ubuntu-california.org

Good luck!

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2