[ubuntu-us] New Website for the US LoCo Teams

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 25 00:52:52 BST 2009

Thanks for your input, Joe!

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Joe Terranova <joeterranova at gmail.com> wrote:
> You took away my map :( the purpose of the map was so that it took one
> click to get to your state loco. Now you have to find the link to the
> state map, then hunt for your state. I set it up that way because the
> point was for people to link to the site when talking about US LoCo
> Teams; then whoever the visitor was, they'd find their LoCo team
> immediately and be one their way to their local site.

We still have the code for the map around :) We decided to take it off
the front page in favor of more "About the project" front page. From
there we decided to link to the wiki for now, so we wouldn't have to
update multiple places and it's easier for people to update the wiki
than by contacting us to get their place on the map updated.

That said, it's all up for discussion! And Craig Huffstetler is
working on a more ajaxy take on Joe's original idea.

Our next meeting is on May 5th at 8PM eastern if we want to talk in
real time (discussion here is fine too, of course!)

> I like the new site, but what's the plan for promoting it?

As I see it, primarily just by keeping the project as a whole alive,
aside from a couple of us kept up with mentoring it kinda died last
year.

At our last meeting we discussed a bunch of ideas for News on the site
(I'll publish meeting notes soon, I've been swamped at work this
week).

> I see you also took my analytics code off. That's fine, but someone's
> should be on there; you should have some idea who comes to the site,
> and where they end up.

Not a bad idea. I run webalizer for other sites on the box so we could
use that, or go with analytics again.

Cheers.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2