[ubuntu-us] mailing list spam filtering

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 9 17:31:14 BST 2008

In moderating the many ubuntu-us related mailing lists this morning I
noticed an address that appears to have subscribed to every ubuntu
mailing list known to man.  This address is "terdlink at spam.la".  If you
visit spam.la you can publicly read all correspondence with this
address.

In any case, it appears to me that this is not a valid address that we
want on our lists so I wanted to outline some quick instructions on how
other list admins can remove and filter this address on their lists.  I
have already taken care of this for each of the lists I moderate (-us,
-ut, -wv, -nc, -nv, -ri, ,-mn, -hardened).

If you moderate any other lists you can filter this by logging into your
admin interface at:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/admindb/ubuntu-us-*

visit the "membership management" section, search for the above address
and "unsubscribe".

after that visit "privacy options" and add "^ *@spam.la" to ban list.

Hopefully we can get at least our lists filtered before any spam gets
through.

Christer