[Ubuntu-US] US Teams Project

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:50:32 BST 2007

Steve Stalcup wrote:
> When this project was started, It was started with the idea of getting
> a LoCo team in every state, and having all State teams approved by the
> end of this year.  I think we can still get most of this goal
> accomplished.

I'm pushing for it every bit of the way.  We have a handful of states
left to get teams up and running in, and I think a few could go up for
approval.

> Another aspect of the project was intended to be pooling resources as
> teams in the US, brainstorm, and help build each other up. Every team
> has successes they have experienced, successes that can help other
> LoCo teams.  In contrast, there are things that some teams struggle
> with, how to handle money being one of them.

Building on the shoulders of giants, there are several resources that
are built and in place.  We just need to keep pointing states the right way.

> I have to say that I have sat on the fence on this issue, and others too long.
>
> I would like to encourage any kind of discussion that can be
> beneficial to our loco teams.  I am not a fan of stifling discussion.
> It would be great to see 3 or 4 people explore all the options and
> possibilities of protection status and how to handle money.  It may
> not go anywhere, but if it does, that would help all of our teams.

We need to encourage discussion on this topic.  If state LoCos feel that
they need to discuss it, then we should encourage that discussion and
help them get the resources they need, and pointed in the right direction.

> The other point I wanted to comment on is the "Mentor" status.  The
> idea behind the name of Mentor was to identify individuals who had
> experience with the team building process and or were experts in the
> resources that teams use.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to get rid of a requirement for
> mentor.  At the moment, a "Mentor" needs to be an Ubuntu Member and on
> an approved LoCo team.  I don't think this is necessary.

The requirement of a "mentor" is one that is a member approved by the
Community Council, and their state is also approved from the CC.  To
remove the mentor foundation from this project would crumble the project
entirely.  If there are no mentors helping people get pointed in the
direction to go, then we have the blind leading the blind, and I think
that is what we do not want to have happen.  Mentors are the crux of
this project.

> The project is about people helping people, and teams helping teams.
> It's my hope we can continue to help each other grow.
>
> 1. Build LoCo Teams from New -> Approved.
> 2. Explore Ideas.
> 3. Share successes.
> 4. Pool resources.
> and most of all
> 5. Have some fun with Ubuntero's
>
> Thanks for reading
> ~Steve

Thanks,
                       _
Aaron Toponce         ( )  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
www.aarontoponce.org   X   www.asciiribbon.org
                      / \