US LoCo Teams Ubuntu via Dell? Time for the LoCo to step up.

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at ubuntu.com
Fri May 25 07:19:37 BST 2007

I'm sure all of you have seen all the news about Dell now (as of today)
offering Ubuntu pre-installed.  I want to first congratulate everyone on
all of their hard work, voicing your opinions and showing Dell that
there is a big, wallet carrying community interested in such a product.
 This would not have happened if it weren't for the LoCo troops in each
state doing everything they can to advocate Ubuntu and open source
software.  Keep it up!

The second thing I would like to put out for consideration is that now
that we're "mainstream"--now that every Tom, Dick and Harry can buy
Ubuntu with Dell--I think the LoCo teams need to really step it up.
Think about it.  Yes, they do get commercial support from Canonical with
their purchase, but what other group (in any OS!) will also offer
localized "bring your machine to our location and we will help you for
free" support?  Ubuntu LoCo is who!

I propose that the US Teams really start pushing and focusing on
organized support channels.  If you aren't already, start planning
regular meeting times, dates and locations for your LoCo.  Be visible.
Invite people to your meets and have someone present on interesting
topics at every and any level.  The more we can build the LoCo Teams the
better we'll be able to support Canonical, Dell and, of course, one
another in education and building our United States of Ubuntu!

Let's get some activity going on this list.  I'd like to really start
discussing team building methods, mentoring, advocacy, events, etc.  We
do a lot in the #ubuntu-us irc room, but we've got this list for a
reason.  Lets use it.

Remember we're one the front lines here in building Ubuntu.  It comes
down to the LoCo teams to advocate, educate and support Ubuntu in a
localized manner.  Your team won't grow if you don't grow it.  Your
friends and neighbors wont get localized support if you don't support it.

This list, the #ubuntu-us or #ubuntu-<state> channels and the US Project
Mentors are here to help.  Let's really step it up and start working!

Keep up the great work guys.  All of you!

Christer (Zelut)
christer.edwards at ubuntu.com
http://utah.ubuntu-us.org
http://planet.ubuntu-us.org