US LoCo Teams Edubuntu Lesson Planning!

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:55:39 BST 2007

Greetings fellow Ubunteros,

The Colorado LoCo team has recently begun preparing for the Technology
In Education (TIE) Conference that is being held in Colorado this
June.  One of our members, Jim Hutchinson, is going to be giving a 3
hour seminar on the use of Free/Open Source Software in the realm of
Education and will be focusing heavily on Edubuntu along with the
thin-client abilities that it holds.  The presentation is going to be
held in a giant computer lab allowing the teachers to work on Edubuntu
thin-clients right as Jim is explaining the features of Linux and FOSS
software.  (For more details on our conference presence please see
http://wiki.edubuntu.com/TIEColorado )

One of the goals of this presentation is to show teachers that there
are tons of uses for the Edubuntu software suite in the classroom, and
to do this we need to create approximately 20 lesson plans that use
educational programs found in Edubuntu for middle school and high
school classrooms.  We would hope to give the teachers at least an
hour to go through these lesson plans and their attached files to see
the power and usefulness of Linux in the classroom.

Our team is trying to work with Jim to get these lesson plans created,
but we simply do not have the time to create as many as we would like.
 That being said, we are appealing to the community of Ubuntu users
from all over the world to step in and help us if you have a free hour
or two of your time to create a lesson plan.  We've created a wiki
page detailing the progress of our lesson plan creation at
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Lessons and you can find a sample lesson at
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Lessons/Kalzium .

You can find a list of suggested programs that we have compiled to use
for lessons at the bottom of our main TIEColorado wiki page (
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/TIEColorado ).  If any of you have any
experience with these programs please let us know how you can help!
We hope to see this grow into a large repository of teaching plans
based on Edubuntu for the entire community, not just this one
conference.

If you are comfortable with wiki editing, please feel free to add your
lesson directly to our lessons page (
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Lessons ).  However, if you would prefer to
just email us a document with your lesson plan and any necessary
attached files please direct them to myself (funnylookinhat at gmail.com)
and I will work with our team to convert them into wiki format and
have the necessary attachments uploaded as well.

Thank you for your time and assistance!  Feel free to contact me
directly with any questions that you would have.

Cheers,
David Overcash
Colorado LoCo Team Leader

http://www.funnylookinhat.com