Firefox Freeze Up

Christopher Wilson christopher.j.wilson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:08:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Douglas Whitfield
<whitfield at opensourceplayground.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 14:23, simon simple <antikoa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I can not surf really when it enters this "mode" but if I leave it alone
>> for a period of time it will go to a entered url, go back via the back
>> button and close but only after some time has passed.  Again, it seems as if
>> the app is doing something else or leaking memory to the point that it is
>> coming to a stand still.  However, everything you say sounds like the "big
>> boy" version of my problem as I could see a leaking app slowly bring the
>> whole OS to a stand still
>
> Just for clarity, are you on Firefox 3.6 and 10.04? One of the bugs you
> linked to was an 11.04 bug.
> I've had several problems with blocked sites slowing things down.  If I
> block "facebook" on the router for instance (which I'd prefer to do), just
> about everything that uses Facebook Connect grinds basically to a halt.
>  This is the case in Chrome, Chromium and Firefox.
> If you aren't wedded to extensions, I'd highly recommend Chrome or Chromium.
>  FootieFox and Tree Style Tabs are too much with which to part for me!

Just to wade into this discussion, I've been noticing a really
significant slow down in FF 4.? on Ubuntu 11.04.  My symptoms are
broadly similar to Simon and Richard's. When I wake my computer from
sleep I can use FF for about 90 seconds and then it pretty much grinds
to a halt. It is unusably slow for something like 30 seconds and then
it comes back to responsiveness.

I haven't dug into it too much but it sounded similar to what you both
are experiencing. The slowdown got so bad that I've switched to
midori[1] for day-to-day use.

[1]: http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html

--
Chris Wilson <christopher.j.wilson at gmail.com>