[ubuntu-us-wi] LoCo Lookup Success Story

Anthony Hook anthony.hook3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 02:11:57 GMT 2010

Greetings, Ubuntu Wisconsin! Prepare for yet another enthusiastic
email teeming with general excitement about our LoCo.

Yesterday, I received an email from a complete stranger regarding support
for Ubuntu.  This couple found my contact information through the LoCo
listings and shot me an email.  After qualifying what they were looking for
as far as help, I gave them a call.

They bought a new Dell Mini for $100 in a bundle with a new purchase of Dell
hardware.  It sounds like the Dell Mini had Dell's Ubuntu preloaded.  She
had general questions about if she was safe to go online with it, general
questions about Ubuntu, some alternatives for software she has used before,
if she can install Ubuntu from a downloaded CD to more than one machine, and
the like.  After introducing myself, explaining a LoCo, and discussing her
questions with her, she had asked other places she can get help.  It sounded
like she was somewhat familiar with forums, I explained how mailing lists
work, and told her she can get a lot of help from these sources as well as
IRC, and at the current documentation online.

If you do see an email from Melanie or Mark, please welcome them!

This also brings about the question of regional representatives and if
people around the state would want to volunteer their knowledge to people
that may ask questions such as this.  Providing local support would be an
excellent service we could provide as a LoCo, and it doesn't even hurt.

Whacha think?

Thanks,

- Anthony Hook